Sunday, January 5, 2014

Preparing for my upcoming exhibition in March

Happy New Year !! Hope it was a great one and the year brings much joy.

Back from a brief trip up to Queensland over the Holiday season, its great to be back in the studio.  With my solo show coming up on March 26th, its time to think about getting down and focusing on creating and collating the works.

The show will be divided into three sections, and as the gallery has three levels, it will be a perfect venue to guide the viewing of the work.

On the top level, there will be ‘Sexual Politics’. There will be around 7 works, oil on board and smaller in dimensions. As the works progress I will be posting images as they develop and my thoughts about the motivations behind my imagery. 

The middle level, may well have about 10 works. This section is called Head Space and will show a collection of some of my previous works around the Head, a symbol I use to express ideas around identity, the self in transition, desire and communication among other things.  Some of you may have seen these works before, but I hope you will enjoy seeing them again in a different environment alongside more recent works. In this way, you will see the development of my ideas and the journey I am on.

The ground floor will show about 12 works. I haven’t finalized the name of this collection, but closer to the time, I believe it will be clearer. These works are all new works, mostly inspired by a recent trip I took to a kibbutz in the Arava Desert in Southern Israel. I studied Permaculture and lived in an environment that was quite challenging yet wonderful. The experience brought many new feelings, thoughts and insights to mind and I have enjoyed translating and consolidating these into paintings. My approach to painting was both reinforced and shaken up. I am on a journey that embraces a more minimalist way of being, trying to lose the extraneous and focus on the core, the essential, the calm and the true. 

Over the next few weeks, I will be posting my progress and I hope you will join me in this journey. 

When I was in Brisbane, I was fortunate enough to come across a koala, making an early morning stroll to his tree. He/she was most unconcerned by my close presence, it was such a wonderful experience.  


 

1 comment: