Monday, February 10, 2014

The Collection is coming together

It has been a busy couple of weeks, which is nice. The paintings are coming along and some of them I am really pleased with.  I have just completed Comfortably Numb, a larger work that explores complacency. Not a very sexy subject, but the experience I had meeting Micha after so many years was such a bolt to my sense of comfort, that i had to address it. I have combined the vastness of the desert, a rabbit which represents my Chinese horoscope sign and vulnerability. The hammock evokes a feeling of comfort, relaxation, holiday in the sun. She is suspended in this place and looks in the mirror, and sees a reflection of herself as the wounded rabbit, her soul is pierced. However, i also feel that the airy and lightness of the painting provides the space for hope and openness.  

Comfortably Numb 2014

I went to a really enjoyable opening last Friday at Anna Pappas Gallery. The work was very post-modern, painting certainly is dead in this universe. So i had a beer and managed to strike up a conversation with some people who were anything but.  I met my first paint maker, and it was thrilling to actually have a conversation with someone about the loveliness of yellow. I do use alot of yellow, I feel it is so evocative, warm to cool and resonant. Yellow makes me happy and I am lucky enough as a painter to include it as much as I like in my surroundings.  I have just started a new work called, Living on the Edge, and it uses yellow to create the energy of the universe. Wow. i hope it comes across that way, it won't have a figure either which is an interesting development for me. The idea has a figure and the sketches too, but i think it makes sense without one which is preferably for impact and simplicity.

Living on the Edge _In Progress


The invites to the show, As Within, So Without will be going out soon so if you would like to receive one or more, please send me an email with your address and i will post it. Or just an e -invite if you prefer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment